Thanks to my friend Rachel, I have rediscovered sewing. The last time I touched a sewing machine was in 7th grade in a Home Ec. class. (Am I writing that correct, what the heck is the "ec" in home ec?). Honestly, when I think of sewing, I think of elastic waistband jams (I made 3 pairs), floral jumpers (yup, I wore mine in public), and clown suits. Nope, not clown costumes, but the big puffy-sleeved, puffy-legged, one piece outfits. I never had one, but I picked out the fabric for one. My mom was going to make it and never got around to it, so later a friend made me a quilt out of it for college. I'm really thankful now that I never had the clown suit. Pictures of me in my homemade floral jumper are quite enough. We even had a fashion show in our class to model all our creations for our parents.
All that to say, the world of sewing has come a long way. There's even fabric that doesn't scream, "Make me into a clownsuit!" So, with some money I'd stashed away from past birthdays, I bought a sewing maching and this week made my first project. The Birdie Sling from Amy Butler.
Rachel and I worked on these together one afternoon, then I brought it home to finish up. I think it's pretty darn cute myself. The green is actually reminscent of some neon green, elastic waistband shorts I wore in the '80's. It looks toned down in the pics and when I ordered the fabric online. It frightened me a bit at first, but has grown on me.
Oh, and here's my helper (this is not Rachel)!
Home Ec = Home Economics :)
ReplyDeleteVERY cool purse - you must share your secrets. My mother has been a seamstress full time since she was 16 and I stink at sewing! I do have a machine though that she gifted to me! :)
That's awesome, Tiff! I totally wish I could sew. We'll see if that makes it to the top of my "I wish I could..." list anytime in my lifetime, though. ;)
ReplyDeleteOh, and those "clown suits" you are referring to...I wore them. They were called bubble suits, thankyouverymuch. And I rocked them like nobody's business in middle school. ;)
P.S. Maggie is so sweet! Let us know if you ever need a dogsitter. We'll even take her if she's leaky. hehe!
Oh I'm so sad I couldn't join in for the fun! I want a fab purse like that - so cute!
ReplyDeleteHow did I know your first project would have birds on it? :)
ReplyDeleteSO CUTE! Next project - diaper bag?
Love you! and can't wait to meet Maggie!
Please post a pic of the floral jumper. Asap.
ReplyDeleteduh, ec=economics. total brain fart. Trey even knew that.
ReplyDeleteAna- you should bust out the sewing machine and we can have a sewing party with Jacquie and Rachel!
Melissa- you'll just have to come look through my old scrapbook from jr high to see the floral jumper.
ReplyDeleteWay to go Tiff! Nice job! Want me to send you some fabric from Thailand?
ReplyDeleteIt came out great!! I think I have a pic of you in your jumper at awards night if I'm not mistaken! I had forgotten about the clown suit. Thank goodness your mom never got around to that! I made the curtains for the guest bath today... you'll love that pattern, so super duper easy!!
ReplyDeleteprojects with friends are always more fun! way to go!
ReplyDeleteand i love the clarification:
"Oh, and here's my helper (this is not Rachel)!"
i'm with mel on the idea for the next project. :)
--cristina
jeanz- I would love love fabric from Thailand!!! If you're serious, I'll make you something too with it!
ReplyDeleteWOW, those home ec. classes really paid off! You could turn this into a little business.
ReplyDeleteLovin' the stories of old times- I was known to sport a bubble suit back in the day, not to mention a few pairs of elastic waist leggings too. Good times!
Tif, I am truly impressed with your purse! Whenever I wore something I sewed - yes I also took Home Ec in 8th grade - and we also had a fashion show, but with a real fashion announcer in a tux with music playing on stage in front of the entire student body, which was totally devastating for a plumpster like I was, but I digress. Whenever I wore something I sewed people would ask, "Did you make that?"
ReplyDeleteI must ask, while you did not have a clown dress, did you have high hair?